Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Dear Friends,
As many of you know, I graduated in May from Northern Michigan with my B.S. in sociology. What does one do with a bachelor’s in sociology? A) Go to grad school; B) Work as a statistician or low ranking research assistant (think phone surveys); C) Work a minimum wage job that anyone can get; D) Get creative. I chose D.
Starting at the end of August, I will be a mission volunteer for the ELCA’s Young Adults in Global Mission Program in the United Kingdom. Time for God, a non-profit agency based in London, has placed me at Family Tree Trust, a group home for adults with learning disabilities. My tasks there will include helping residents to prepare meals and accompanying them to activities outside the home.
I am asking for your support in two ways. The first is through prayers of support for a God-filled and soul building year. The second is financial. I am required to raise $3500 of the $8700 it costs to support a mission volunteer for the year. This cost includes my housing and food, health insurance, travel there and back, orientation, and stipend. Please consider making a gift. Information on donating is at the end of this letter.
While gone, I will be putting out a monthly newsletter to keep in touch with everyone. You have been with me on my faith journey thus far and I look forward to you being with me as I take the next steps. Thank you.
Peace,

Katie Drefke


Please have donations to Gloria Dei by Aug.1 so that the ELCA can receive it by Aug 10.
Make checks payable to Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and write “YAGM in the UK” on the memo line.

Please send contributions to:
Kristen Longabaugh
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
108 W. Brown Street

Tecumseh, MI 49286

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home